Hi! I'm Frank, a 23-year-old web developer and designer from Zürich, Switzerland. I enjoy working on UI animations. I'm a pasta addict who's passionate about acrobatics, nature and live music. Someday I want to live in a tiny house.
Some more information about me.
I started out as an application developer craving the graphical UI and being fascinated by sites like Codrops, then got into web development and finally moved to the frontend part of web development. I prefer being involved in the creative process to being given someone else's vision of a product. As I had too many encounters with complicated and unattractive technology I try making tech simple, attractive and accessible.
I want to make clean and lively interfaces (UI) using focused minimalism, subtle animations and smart interactions for a swift and pleasant user experience (UX). What a sentence!
What I speak
- German (native)
- English (FCE grade A)
- French (graduation vocational matriculation)
What I like
- High diving
- Outdoor exercise à la Vita Parcour
- Road bike
- Reading & audiobooks
- Creating music playlists
What I'm good at
- Motion design & UI animation
- Responsive Web Design
- Buying good looking and too expensive products
- * stargazing * with a friend & a beer
Where I get stuck in the web
February 2016 - Now
Propädeutikum @ ZHdK
I'm back in school! I'm taking part in this one-year course at the Zurich University of the Arts as a preparation for a Bachelor's programme in design. It's a way of learning more about the different areas of design and finding out which one is the best fit for me. This course contains the following topics.
- Drawing by hand (pencil, charcoal, brush, nude drawing)
- Creating 3D objects (working with materials, form, space and light)
- Visual Communication (graphic design, typography)
- Film history
- Lectures by people from the working world
- Visiting exhibitions: Dada, Pipilotti Rist
November 2015 - Now
Frontend developer @ Hinderling Volkart
I'm currently working as a frontend developer in this web agency in Zürich.
- HTML5 Canvas & SVG Animations
- Middleman as our frontend work setup, Ruby, Haml markup language, SASS
- Clients: Ferrari, IWC Schaffhausen, Sunrise, 20 Minuten Friday
May 2015 - July 2015
Travelling Hawaii, Western USA, Canada
I was on a road trip for three months with three buddies.
August 2014 - April 2015
Community service @ Primarschule Knonau
In lieu of the military service I worked in the primary school of Knonau as part of my community service.
- Day care (with lunch) of the kids, assistance in the classroom and the kindergarten during lessons. I also helphed the teachers during the gym classes of the younger children.
- In winter I helped running a ski camp and was responsible for a group of kids as a snowboard teacher.
- I had the chance to make a project with ten year old pupils with the goal to introduce them to computers and application development. Read about it here.
June 2013 - September 2014
Web developer @ Station
I worked as a web developer in this web agency in Zürich for frontend and backend work. It was a great experience, I joined an awesome team, I learned a lot and it felt good to be given responsibility.
- CMS (Wordpress, Drupal)
- I've held a talk about Responsive Web Design as part of a internal knowledge exchange session and written an article about parallax scrolling performance.
- I attended the Frontend Conference Zurich in 2013.
- We attended the Best of Swiss Web Award Night.
- Clients: Bucherer, Akris, Hoststar, S AM Basel, Chocolat Frey, RHB, Bligg, Migros, Stefan Caamano, Credit Suisse, IKEA, Swissmilk
January 2013 - April 2013
Web developer internship @ Gold Interactive
As part of an internship I worked in this web agency in Zürich as a chance to really get into web work. Obviously I already had experience in web development from my apprenticeship but I wanted to learn more and particularly shift my focus to the visual part of development. That was why I switched to a purely web oriented company which is also more frontend and design sensitive. I worked with and in the following areas:
- Frontend & Backend
- HTML, CSS (SASS), JS (jQuery)
- PHP, MySQL
- CMS (Redaxo, Contao)
- Git version control system
- Clients: Mobiliar, Zai for Bentley, Typon Areal, Lindbergh Allee, Mark Van Huisseling
October 2012 - November 2012
Part-time bike courier @ Flash
To do something else for a change I collected and delivered goods by bike in Zürich.
September 2011 - October 2011
Language stay in Fremantle, Australia
I attended a language school and stayed at a host family in Freo for two months to improve my English.
August 2008 - August 2012
App developer apprenticeship @ IBM
I passed my apprenticeship as an application developer with commercial, vocational matriculation in this global IT company in Zürich with a Swiss certificate of competence in information technology.
- Object-oriented programming
- Java, J2EE, Wicket, Struts, JUnit testing
- XML, IBM DB2
- SVN, CVS
August 2006 - August 2008
Secondary school @ Sekundarschule Mettmenstetten
Basic education degree A
August 2005 - August 2006
Academic high school @ Gymnasium Freudenberg
Quitted voluntarily after one year.
August 1999 - August 2005
Primary School @ Primarschule Knonau